"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Repainting an End Table



This week, in trying to be a better Home Keeper more content with what I already have, I've been working on my dining room. My main project was to do something with this ugly white end table my husband's mom gave to him before we were married. I think she had it awhile before him, too. :)


I decided to try and be frugal and crafty and repaint the little guy. Thankfully, someone graciously left me a comment with some great advice on how to accomplish this task and saved me some money too.

You don't have to strip the old paint off. I already had a sneaking suspicion this was the case, but the worker a Lowe's told me I needed to. I'm taking the stripper and cleaner back. :) I did get some paint I love at Lowe's.

Step One: Lay down cut up plastic grocery bags instead of a drop cloth to save money and use up my endless supply of them.

Step Two: Sand the surfaces using a ratty piece of sandpaper my husband rustled up from somewhere in the basement.

Step Three: Paint the first coat using a pastry brush from my kitchen drawer because I cannot locate any paint brushes larger than my daughter's little craft paint brushes.

Step Four: Go out to Hobby Lobby while first coat is drying and get a real paint brush. I recommend using a real paint brush. :)

Step Five: Apply second coat.

Step Six. LET IT DRY COMPLETELY!! I put stuff on it while it was still a little "tacky" and almost had to do another coat. Luckily, it was still ok. I'd recommend letting it sit over night.


Isn't it cute now? It was totally worth it! We bought a quart of paint and I seriously used about 1/8 of it. Now I'm daydreaming of what else I can paint with it.... :) This was a very frugal project! Check out Frugal Friday for other great frugal ideas!

Interested in my "Keeping Our Homes" series and why I'm doing it? Come back Friday morning and see my post on my final results of cleaning, decluttering, reorganizing and making my dining room a spot I'm proud of. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg or a ton of time to do!

Plus, come link up how you kept your home this week or tell us how have you repurposed something or learned to be more content with what you already have. Share with us so that we can encourage one another in being Keepers at Home!

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin