"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Contentment


Photo by hyku

When I read these words the other day (which I've read before many times) I was pierced through to my spirit:
Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.1 Timothy 6:6-9
I realized I've slowly, bit by bit, allowed myself to be ensnared. I've longed for a house since we've been married and I allowed that longing to take over, stealing my joy and contentment. It happened so gradually I didn't even fully realize what was happening until I read those words. I thank God for His profitable Word.

This discontentment was slowly dragging me down, bit by bit, day by day and began to affect every part of my life. I've finally recognized it for what it is (sin) and am determined that with the grace of the Holy Spirit I can repent and move on and strive to be content in every area of my life. Part of that includes contentment with what God has allowed into my life at this time in my life as well as the possessions I have.

Starting tomorrow, I'll be working on something new for my blog that will be emphasizing being content with what we have. I hope that sharing my experience will be profitable for someone else and I encourage you invite God to search out your heart for any discontentment. It is a poison that can spread and affect many parts of your life. May God bless you with wisdom as we start a brand new week full of brand new opportunities!

4 comments:

Rebekah on August 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM said...

I have been dealing with this in my life too. Ever since my husband I got married, I have desperately wanted to be a mother. I know that God will bless us with children in his time, but waiting is so hard. Thank you for sharing and reminding me to be content in my life right now.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet on August 29, 2010 at 10:01 PM said...

Thank you so much for sharing your struggles and your heart! I struggle with this as well. I look forward to seeing the posts on this. :)

Anonymous said...

all glory to God for his sanctification

From The Heart Online on September 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM said...

Excellent post. Thank you for sharing this challenge to be content. That verse has held special meaning to me too. I used to chase financial knowledge and obsess about investing and financial freedom.

God continues to lead me away from such love of money and towards a love of Him - whether we're rich or poor, to love Him above it all.

Praise God for freedom :)

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin