"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, September 6, 2010

Keeping the Home: Dining Room



As I talked about last week, today will begin my journey towards being a better steward with what I already have in an effort to be more content. I hope sharing my experiences with you will make it more fun and also help encourage those of you who may struggle in this area as well. I don't think I'm alone! :)

This week, I'll be working on my dining room. In our apartment, we have a combined dining/living area, but I'll focus mainly on the dining area.

One of the main things I want to do is to strip and repaint that ugly little white end table sitting there. The paint on it now is chipped and faded and terrible looking. I thinking painting it a nice, deep brown will really help change the look of this area for very little money. Anyone have any good advice for me on how to do this? :)

I also want to really clean the table and chairs because they are sticky (the culprit shall remain unnamed) and I need to really clean the chair under a certain someone's chair. I need to reorganize and declutter our "craft area" drawers sitting behind the dining room table and I want to do something to make the dining room table look less plain and more organized. All that should keep me busy this week, don't you think?

Are you joining us in the journey of being good stewards and better home keepers this week? Share with us your plans and let's encourage one another in this journey! :)

3 comments:

Jennifer on September 6, 2010 at 3:30 PM said...

Love this idea of being a good steward of our homes, Janeen! I spent way too many years in my home waiting until we could move into our "real" home. Now, I'm learning to love my little 900 sq. foot, 2 bedroom haven and trying to fix it up and do my best until God provides a bigger one. Thanks for the reminder!

From The Heart Online on September 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM said...

You sure caught my attention with that post! I fall off the 'organization' wagon all the time. If it's not budgeting, then it's cleaning. If it's not that, it's organization or meal planning or blogging ... always something.

Seeing as it's September, I have great hope that I'll get on track (into some kind of routine) with my 'cleaning zones', and meal planning. ... okay, and laundry and organizing and homeschooling... you know. :)

http://frugalsteward101.blogspot.com/2010/07/cleaning-zone-tuesdays.html

Kim

Kristi on September 8, 2010 at 10:28 PM said...

I have repainted and re-purposed so many items over the years, it's not even funny! There is no need to strip the paint off the end table...that is a LOT of unnecessary work. All you need to do is maybe sand it if there are large, deep chips in the paint and then paint over it. Start from the top and work down, that way you'll catch any drips. As far as organization, it looks like you might need some additional storage (it's hard to tell from the pics) is there any way you might be able to "invest" in a tall bookshelf for that corner? You can check craigslist, goodwill or garage sales for something really inexpensive. You then could get baskets/containers from the $1 store and organize everything...plus you'd have even more room for storage. Just an idea!

www.courageoushomekeeping.com

Kristi

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin