"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Living Room: Organization Tips


Since one of my main goals for this week is to get my living room more organized (ugh, you can check out those before pictures if you want :) I thought I'd share with you a few of the things I've accomplished so far!

The main thing I wanted to tackle was my husband's childhood video games (Nintendo 64 and Super Nintendo) under the t.v. which created a big mess. We recently got a Wii, so there was just no room for 3 consoles and games under there! Unfortunately, I didn't get any before pictures, but trust me, it was awful. There were games and consoles and cords everywhere!

Step One: I convinced my husband that we didn't need the old games upstairs anymore. I told him they weren't used often enough to deserve "prime space" in the living room. :) Maybe later I'll convince him to sell them or something but that's for another time. Putting them away is a huge step.

Note: Make sure you have permission to mess with someone else's stuff, especially if it's your husband's. I know it's tempting to just do it, but don't. It'll lead to a lot of unnecessary conflict. Maybe I'll post later about the right way to petition your husband to make changes.

Step Two: Pull everything out. Yep, I'm a pull the mess out and deal with it head on kinda girl. It was a dust bunny farm. I unpluged everything and sorted it all out. I put all the old stuff into boxes. The games got their own box which they fit perfectly in. It was a match made in heaven.

Step Three: Mark everything. Trust me. It's really annoying to have a bunch of unmarked boxes around.

Step Four: Put all the old stuff in the basement. Yes! Finally!

Step Five: Clean it out with a wet rag. It was a dusty yuckie place.

Step Six: Put all the new stuff neatly in it's place. I got a cute basket at a local discount store and used it to put all the new Wii stuff in. Now you can just pull the basket out, find what you need and put it back. I love it!!

Step Seven: I neatly wound up extra cordage still under there and secured it with twistie ties. I hate having a jungle of cords. Now it's nice and neat!

I should have some more posts soon on other things I'll accomplish in the living room this week and I will post the final results on Friday along with a link up for you to share how you've been learning to be more content, a better homekeeper, re-purposing things you already have, etc. Come join us and let's encourage one another in this home keeping journey!

*My giveaway for a Rubbermaid Reveal Mop is still open to get you started or keep you going strong on your home keeping journey!*

Check out the Homemaking Link Up to get you going with some great Homemaking Ideas!

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin