"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Baking Day Part 3


Part One and Part 2 if you'd like to catch up!
After I peeled and cored half of 1/2 a bushel of apples, I cut them into small pieces and threw them into a pot with some water and lemon juice. I boiled them until I could mash them pretty well (I like some chunkiness too), added about 2/3 c of sugar, ground cinnamon and 5 cinnamon sticks (just because I have them! :)


I can't endorse the way I can most stuff because I don't want to be sued. I don't hot water bath jars, I hot pack it. The lady that taught me used this method for many, many years and only had one or two bad jars of anything. She said she always smells the jar when she opens it and checks for mold. Certain things you cannot can this way (low acids, like green beans, which require pressure cooking, which is why I freeze those). If you're interested, here's how I can, but you can't sue me if anything happens because I'm warning you up front.

To "hot pack" you need to heat your jars in the oven at 212 degrees, boil your "stuff" (applesauce in this case) and boil your lids in a small pot of water. When your "stuff" is ready, take a jar out at a time, pour the hot "stuff" in, wipe off the rim with a clean rag, put a clean lid on the jar with tongs and screw a band on tightly. You should hear a "pop" sound eventually when it seals. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SEALS. If something doesn't seal, you can try again (with things like applesauce) or put it in the refrigerator or freezer and use accordingly. I leave the bands on, just in case. Amazing. For all that work I only got 2 1/2 quarts of applesauce. :P

Now I have to do the rest of them. Guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Not a very productive day in the kitchen for me. How about you?

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin