"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Baking Day Part 2


Well, I finally got all my coupons organized and we went to the store (which took WAY longer than I thought, of course) and here's a picture of what all I got:I got some great deals (like free Kashi GoLean cereal) but I'll talk about that Saturday, for Super Savings Saturday. Once we got home and put everything away (baby screaming the whole time of course) I had to feed the baby and get her situated again. At last, I got to start in on the yogurt and apples. Not combined! Lol. My baking day buddy:For the yogurt, in case you were wondering, I started out with 4 1/2 c. of milk.


Then bring it to almost a boil. I think the exact temp is about 185 degrees, but I am so used to just turning it off when I see bubbles (or forget about it and then remember when I see bubbles!) This is just to sterilize the milk.


Let the milk cool. This I do measure with my wonderful kitchen probe thermometer. I think the range you want it down to is 95-115 or so. I shoot for 110 degrees. Once it's down to about 110, pour it into the warming vessel of your choice. I've seen people use crockpots wrapped in towels, jars in insulated coolers, and I use an actual yogurt maker/warmer someone gave me. The milk just has to stay warm somehow for awhile.

Once it's in the warmer, I add 2 tablespoons of yogurt as a starter (just slowly plop it in, no stirring). Cover and let sit anywhere from 10-24 hours. I shoot for 12-16, but the longer it sits, the stronger the "zing." I've messed up many a batch of yogurt, so here's some tips:

  • Don't forget about it while its cooling :)
  • Don't add to much starter (for some this is bad, I'm not exactly sure why, but trust me)
  • After it's done, put it straight in the fridge. Don't stir it. Once cool, if you like watery yogurt, stir it up or pour off the whey for varying levels of thickness
  • Don't unplug it and forget about it on the counter :)
Now I'm working on the apples. Not hard, just tedious!I'm probably not going to accomplish all I hoped because of a terrible headache, dizziness and nausea, so I had to take a break... might have to resume tomorrow! But Money Saving Mom is doing a fabulous job getting tons accomplished!

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin