"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, November 15, 2010

Mom Momday: Selfishness



I used to think I was a very mature person. Everyone thought I was older than really was and I was usually ahead of my peers when it came to practical things like finances and school. So, I thought I was mature and I was "ok."

Then I got married and had kids. And I still thought I was okay. I was even a little proud of how I gave up my plans for a career and plans I had for my life. I thought of myself as truly selfless.

I stood in front of the mirror the other day, pining over the loss of my pre-baby body when I had a revelation that hit me like a ton of bricks. Almost the entire 4 years of my marriage I have been selfish, self centered and immature. For someone who believed the exact opposite for so long, it took a minute for all this to set in.

I've finally realized that all these years I've been spiritually immature, complaining, focused on how much I gave up, constantly thinking "if only..." etc. and I am heartily ashamed. I am so very thankful that God's given me this understanding that I can learn and grow and work at becoming a mature, selfless person in the image of Christ.

I heard a message about loving the truth and the speaker talked about how we have to not only love the truth about God and others, but we have to love the truth about ourselves, even if it's painful. Loving the truth about ourselves will keep us walking towards God, becoming more like Christ everyday.

God desires to change the un-Christlike things in our lives, but we must first acknowledge them, repent of them and ask God to help us change. It is a process, day by day and it's usually not a fun process either. But it is most definitely a profitable one.

Thanks for letting me share my heart with you and I hope to encourage you to be open and honest with God and love the truth He reveals to you, even if it's not pleasant. May God bless you this week as you move closer to becoming transformed into the image of Christ!

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin