"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Friday, November 12, 2010

Frugal Friday: Healthier Living


Photo by havankevin


It occurred to me that maybe this eating healthier stuff isn't as expensive as I thought it would be after all...

For example, our family took a trip to the grocery store this week, mainly to get milk. As I was walking around I was very tempted to grab some oreos and pizza rolls. :) My husband kindly reminded me that those weren't very healthy. Then, my husband was tempted by some Seirra Mist. It was my turn to remind him that pop in general is unhealthy.

Junk that our bodies don't need can be expensive. It's far less expensive to only eat what our bodies need. It's just harder. That's why I'm so glad my husband is on board with all of this. It would be so very difficult to stand by these new choices without support in my weak moments.

So we saved at least $7-8 on impulse junk food in just one shopping trip. I think that money would be much better spent towards healthy splurges like fresh dates, apples and raw oats. What do you think? Have you found healthy eating to be more expensive or less expensive? Do you have support in your healthier eating journey?

2 comments:

Janet on November 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM said...

I think you are right on track. While the healthier items might be more expensive, if you are eliminating the junk in the process you're not really going to spend more. I fit $5 bags of organic apples and $3 half gallons of organic milk into our $50 a week budget with no problem because we buy less of the not so healthy stuff.

Danielle on November 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM said...

It is cheaper to eat healthy!! I recently started making my family's bread again and am amazed at how much just that one change is saving us. It's also nice to know I can get my kids to eat better food.

Danielle

http://www.parentingforless.com/2010/11/09/making-bread/

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin