"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Frugal Friday: Don't Be Cheap


Picture By: ecastro

I was lucky enough to get two free entertainment books recently when Money Saving Mom posted about the deal. I was so excited when they showed up at my door the other day! My husband and I plan on using one or two on our "stayaction" this weekend when his parents take the girls (more on that later). :)

While I was thinking about the entertainment books, I remembered about when I worked at T.G.I. Fridays. The servers HATED it when someone came in with a coupon. In general, the people who came in with coupons were rude, demanding, and rarely left a decent tip.

I know that many frugal people pride themselves on saving a buck, but sometimes we scrimp in areas we shouldn't. If you're going to go out to a decent place to eat (where you sit down and someone takes the trouble to serve you) please have the courtesy to be mindful of the work and effort someone put into serving you. Tips are where servers make their money to live. I've worked in restaurants and believe me, it's very hard, stressful work, especially when customers decide to be difficult.

In general, you should leave your tip based on the pre-coupon total. Go ahead, be proud of yourself for being thrifty by using a coupon (I know I often am!) but please don't give all the rest of us couponers a bad rap by being cheap. Check out Life as Mom for other great frugal tips this week!

4 comments:

Janet on August 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM said...

Great tip. My husband is a restaurant manager and I used to work in the restaurant industry as well. Servers work hard for their money and more often than not it seemed the more demanding the customer the worse the tip. Being a cheap tipper is not okay.

The Keevy Family on August 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM said...

So true! Thanks for the post. I was thinking about this the other day when I got a coupon in the mail for $2 off a haircut at a local place. Great to use the coupon, but yes--tip on the full price!

Jane
Alltogetherbeautiful.blogspot.com

Mom2fur on August 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM said...

To me, the difference between cheap and frugal is that cheap is hurtful while frugal is helpful. When I give my kids gift certificates, I do remind them the tip is calculated on the price before the discount. Same with myself. You're probably already saving $15 or more, so why not share it a little and give a little bit extra in the tip? That's my philosophy! Shame on those misers who pinch pennies until everyone around them screams, let alone Lincoln.
I admire food service folks, who put up with an awful lot!

Christy on August 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM said...

Great reminder! I have never been a waitress or worked where tips were my livelihood - but I always tip well - I know it is hard work - I cook and clean and serve my family and I look forward to my tips! y'know hugs and things

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin