"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday Wifehood: Valentine's Edition



Some people love it and some hate it. But whether you love it or hate, Valentine's Day is still February 14th every year (in America) and it deserves some thought. I agree, Valentine's Day is primarily a Hallmark Day that tries to commercialize love. But it doesn't have to be. Rather, we can use all the hype to help us to remember to appreciate our husbands and those we love.

We shouldn't need a hyped up day to show love. I fully agree. But tell me, on a day to day basis, how are you doing with appreciating your husband? It's very easy in the flow and bustle of life to forget to stop and remember why you love your husband, especially when you have small children and/or are having struggles in life. I know I'm guilty!

I see toothpaste in the sink and I get irritated. My husband often works 7AM to 7PM and I get lonely. When he is home he actually has the *gull* to want to relax and I get frustrated. I often do almost everything around here with the cleaning and children and start to feel unappreciated. It's so very easy for all this to add up and steal my joy from my marriage.

It's a good thing to be married. The Bible even says so. :) That doesn't make it easy. So, once a year, America has a commercialized holiday about love. Once a year, they also have a commercialized holiday in December, but that doesn't stop me from using it to remind myself and others about Christ's love. So I'm also going to use this holiday in February to remind myself of the reasons I love and admire my husband.

I will choose to celebrate my marriage, even when it's hard. I hope to do so more than once a year, but for now I'll focus on the opportunity that's been created by the world. I use it to remember that I love how practical my husband is. I love how wise and honest he is. I love what a great leader he is. I hope to find ways, in the next week or so, to celebrate and thank him for all these ways that I love him, because I don't do it enough!

Do you have some encouraging thoughts on wifehood this week? Link up or leave a comment and share with us!

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin