"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Homemade Kettle Korn


Oh my! I am obsessed with Kettle Korn. Every year, at least once a year, I have to buy at least one bag of it at some carnival or fair. Really, whoever thought it up is a genius. Microwave Kettle Korn bags just don't do it justice. Imagine my surprise and delight when I found a general recipe for it, tried it and found that it's basically exactly the same as carnival style! At home. For a fraction of the cost!!

Some of you may not know what Kettle Korn is. How to describe it exactly? Hmmm... it's like a very lightly carameled corn that's also salty. A sweet and salty combo. It is fabulous! It would also make a great party food... cheap and easy!

Homemade Kettle Korn
  • 1/4-1/3 c. popcorn kernels
  • 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • enough water to make the sugar into a slurry
  • 1-2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Pour the kernels into a brown paper bag (lunch bag style) and fold down about 1/2 an inch twice. Staple it twice (side by side in a line) with, yes, metal staples. It'll work, trust me.

Microwave on your popcorn setting. It really is safe to do this. Just treat it as you would any microwave popcorn bag. When it's done, pour it into a bowl, shake to separate the unpopped kernels and scoop the popcorn out, leaving the kernels behind. This is very important! Trust me, eating kettle korn kernels is not pleasant.

Mix the sugar and water together in a small saucepan (preferable non stick) and heat over medium heat. It'll get bubbly as the water boils off. Boil it for a while, until it turns a pretty golden color. It will smell slightly burnt. That's basically what caramel is... burnt sugar. :)

Slurry

Beginning to boil

Beautiful Amber Color

Note: Do not get this stuff on your skin and don't do this with kids around. This hot sugar is basically molten lava and sticks to you as it burns you. Also... do not try to lick it off if it does happen to get on you. Trust me...

Once it's a beautiful amber color, turn off the heat, quickly stir in the butter until melted and pour over the popcorn, stirring the popcorn to get it well coated. Sprinkled with salt and any other seasonings you desire. You can spread this out to cool on a cookie sheet or just keep it in the bowl. You really should wait for it to cool (again, trust me...). If you opt for the bowl version, you'll have to break it up as you eat it. Yum!!

Serves: Just one of me or maybe 3 normal people :) (How'd you like my step by step with pictures? Is it helpful? I think I'm getting the hang of taking blog pictures!)

Finding a way to make one of your favorite treats at home? I'd call that a Finer Thing! Check out Life as Mom's URS for other great game day recipe ideas! For other great frugal ideas, check out Frugal Friday!

9 comments:

Merry Jo on February 4, 2010 at 7:41 AM said...

Sounds so yummy! But, I do have one question: are those metal staples on the bag? Is that OK to put into the microwave? Just wondering...

Christian Frugal Mama on February 4, 2010 at 9:31 AM said...

I couldn't find a way to email you back directly, but to answer your question: Yes these are metal staples and yes it works. I learned this trick from Alton Brown and it's amazing! No oil, just popcorn in a bag with two side by side staples. I guess it's too little metal to cause a problem. :)

LeAnn on February 4, 2010 at 1:31 PM said...

This stuff is delicious! What a fun idea for the game!!! We are huge Alton Brown fans and love learning from him as well! Thanks. ~

Rebecca on February 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM said...

What a neat idea. Looks so yummy too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comparison pictures of the sugar! Looks easy to make.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet on February 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM said...

I loooooovvvveeee kettle corn! Thank you for the yummy looking recipe! :D

Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship on February 5, 2010 at 9:51 PM said...

What a perfect game day treat! Mic popcorn is supposed to be really dangerous b/c of the BPA in the lining, so this is a great way around that that's still easy. You might want to add a little disclaimer about the staples in the microwave!
Thanks for lining up with Finer Things Friday!
;) Katie

Anonymous said...

we just made this...great recipe.. I tried other recipes that cook sugar and popcorn together but it burns...this is so much better...thank you for your yummy recipe..I will be stopping by again..I can't remember you google account so I will go anonymous..

Melzie on July 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM said...

oh my I will definitely be trying this! I imagine it is much cheaper than microwave KK as well! thanks :)
melzie

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin