"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Recipe of the Week: No Bean Bean Dip with Beans


**Update 9/21: My recipe was one of the 7 finalists chosen for Life as Mom's "Better for you Tailgating" recipe contest. If you like this recipe, then consider hoping on over to Life as Mom's post and voting for me! The poll is on the left hand side at the top. Thanks so much for your support!! :)

Sorry for the title, but it couldn't be helped. My husband's aunt makes something called a no bean bean dip that everyone loves. Inspired by this, I came up with my own dip, but I added beans! ;)

No Bean Bean Dip with Beans
8 oz package of 1/3 less fat cream cheese (the "better" for you part!)
3/4 c. refried beans (I used homemade)
3/4 c. corn kernels
3/4 c. salsa
1 avocado diced
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (reduced fat if you want to be extra good!)
Bag of Tostito Chips

Place the cream cheese on a plate and flatten it down a bit. Spread with refried beans (cover the cheese like you're hiding it). Top with salsa and corn and sprinkle it with cheese. Microwave until hot (about 1 1/2- 2 minutes). Top with diced avocado if you like and dig in with the Tostitos! There you go: frugal, super simple and delish! What more could you want for a party? I'm not even going to TRY to break this down by calories because I probably don't want to know the number! It has reduced fat stuff (if you actually go that route) so I figure it's "healthy" enough. Shhh! Don't tell! :)


Warning: microwaved cream cheese and beans can get ridiculously hot (I found out personally, unfortunately) so munch with care!  Check out Life as Mom's Recipe Swap for other game day friendly recipes and Frugal Friday for more money saving ideas! Head over to Tempt my Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday for other great recipes!

11 comments:

Niki Jolene on September 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM said...

My MIL makes something similar, but no beans and no corn.

Yum!

:)

It is always the first thing to go at parties.

Kari on September 18, 2009 at 8:46 PM said...

Love the title. I came over from Life as Mom's and clicked on yours because of the title. The bean dip sounds great!

Kitchen Stewardship on September 21, 2009 at 3:17 AM said...

Janeen,
Sounds like you have an eye for nutrition - I'd love to have this recipe (or another bean recipe) linked into my beans carnival on October 1st. See details here: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/09/18/announcing-october-fest-carnival-of-super-foods/
In Him, Katie

Brook on September 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM said...

You could put beans on the bottom and then replace the cream cheese with fat-free yogurt for the next layer like we do...yummy!

mub on September 22, 2009 at 6:22 AM said...

Oh yum! I love the name ;)

MadeInCanarias on September 22, 2009 at 7:42 AM said...

Sounds yummy!

I'm having my first giveaway, come and have a look :)

Unknown on September 22, 2009 at 5:26 PM said...

Sounds YUMMY!!! What a GREAT!!! title for a bean dip recipe. THANKS!!! Geri

Brenda on September 22, 2009 at 6:08 PM said...

Looks very yummy!

Unknown on September 22, 2009 at 9:35 PM said...

Okay. I must admit to a double-take when I read the title. How funny! Come share your slow cooker recipes at Crock Pot Wednesday. I would love to see you there. diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace on September 23, 2009 at 12:10 AM said...

Sounds like a real crowd pleaser!

Valerie Reilly on September 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM said...

this big-spender Jewish momma who doesn't like anything "Fat-free" loves the name of your recipe!

Cheers!
Val

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin