"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dark Chocolate Mocha



I know I've posted this one before, but it's very worth another post! Plus, since I've been working on dieting, I have some new tips to help make this treat even better!

I stumbled across the idea for this fun creation today leading up to nap time. This week has not been a good one and I need to find some better ways of relaxing and coping... coffee has become one of them.

Now, I'm not endorsing caffeine as a coping mechanism or a good habit. I've always avoided letting coffee become a habit and so far (at almost 24 years of age) I'm still not addicted to coffee. I used to witness my mom's addiction to it and always tried not to let that happen to me. I somehow survived 4 years of Civil Engineering classes without it and hope to continue. However, after having my second child, I am now seeing why so many moms need love coffee! I personally hate the taste of coffee and can only drink the "frilly" coffee stuff (think mocha latte super sugar flavored anything). Therefore, I treat coffee drinks as a pampering treat and after a week like this one, I sure need it!

I used stuff I have in my pantry to come up with this little treat, instead of hitting Starbucks or Border's. On top of the savings in cost, I was able to control the ingredients, so I know it's not out of control in the calories department. I've been closely watching calories lately (another fun byproduct of having my second child) and this is an almost guilt-free indulgence.

Dark Chocolate Mocha (3 Weight Watchers Points)
  • 1 c. of 1% milk (110 calories)
  • 1 packet of Nestle Taster's Choice in Original or 1-2 tsp instant coffee (free sample through the mail!) (0 calories)
  • 1-2 teaspoons of unsweetened baking chocolate (14 calories)
  • 2 teaspoons of white table sugar (30 calories) or Xylitol (20 calories)
If you really wanted to cut back, you can make this with 1/2 c. milk and 1/2 c. water and save 1 point and 55 calories, but I think it's worth the extra cost to make it with all milk

You can use a sugar substitute, but I seriously hate the taste of most of those and for 30 calories (and 1 point), I think the real thing was worth it in this case. Beverages allow the flavor to be too obvious.

Heat half the milk in a mug in the microwave until very hot. Stir in coffee, baking chocolate and sugar. Now, the baking chocolate takes some time and effort to get properly mixed in so stir it good! Add the rest of the milk and enjoy!

Doing it this way keeps it from being too hot. I hate coffee you have to wait 20 minutes to drink because it's too hot. If you want it that hot, by all means, heat all of the milk in the microwave. If you want it colder, heat less of the milk. However, to get the stuff to dissolve properly, you need HOT liquid, so if you want it completely cold you'll have to mix it and then refrigerate or freeze it.

To recap:
You now have a low cost, deliciously almost guilt-free way of pampering yourself for only 154 calories (or 3 Weight Watchers Points) without leaving the house. Sounds good to me! Check out other frugal ideas at Life as Mom's Frugal Friday! To see other wonderful things, check out Finer Things Friday. To see other great recipes check out Tasty Tuesday, Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table! You’ll find all kinds of new recipes this weekend at Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade!!

12 comments:

Holly on August 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM said...

ahhh, welcome to the club "Mom's Need Coffee". I think I can be the president. lol

With # 6 on the way, I have been enjoying coffee waaaay too much. (Or sweet tea!)Which is terrible because after I drink it I feel so sick right now. I have never been so tired in my life. BUT, the frilly drinks always are so much better...this is another yummy way! If you like them cold on hot summer days, try Tammy's mocha frappacinno at tammysrecipes.com It's the best!

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama on August 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM said...

Coffee is certainly a finer thing!!

Ann Kroeker on August 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM said...

Clever!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet on August 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM said...

Oh, yeah! Coffee is a fave of mine although I usually only drink a cup in morning. Thanks for the yummy looking, frugal recipe. :D

Amy @ Finer Things on August 22, 2009 at 7:57 PM said...

I don't drink coffee unless it's "frilly" coffee. This one sounds good!

java diva on August 23, 2009 at 11:59 PM said...

I am going to try this tomorrow! I got a huge sample of all the flavors in the mail recently. And I like that this cuts down on calories, because my "poor mom's mocha" is just adding a packet of hot cocoa to a cup of coffee...mmmm, very rich! And I don't drink that "diet" hot chocolate mix either. Artificial sweeteners have a terrible aftertaste.
TFS :)

Unknown on August 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM said...

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but if it's sweet and has chocolate, I LOVE!!! it. I will have to try your YUMMY!!! coffee recipe soon. I have become a follower of your sweet blog. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same. THANKS!!! Geri

Unknown on August 25, 2009 at 8:05 PM said...

Impressive! I would love to invite you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Please come check it out. Thanks so much for posting.

Audra on August 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM said...

I am trying that today! I am a mom of 5 darlings age 6 to 6 months and everyday I treat myself to something special at naptime. We are a decaf family and I have found the trick is buying really good coffee beans and grinding them yourself. If you can get the 8 o'clock brand they are good quality and not expensive. More than having caffeine, it's the special-ness of the drink that works for me. I just found your site but I am bookmarking it! Thanks for the recipe!

HeartsMakeFamilies on February 9, 2010 at 5:59 PM said...

Hi there. I love this..yummy dark mocha! Welcome to the Friday Follow. I'm your newest follower. So glad to have you with us. I'm way behind but here I am.

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

Brenda on February 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM said...

This looks great! I'm on WW and always looking for low point ways to get my coffee and dessert :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace on February 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM said...

Sounds wonderful!! Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin