"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Recipe of the Week: New York Cheese Pizza


Ok, so it's not exactly New York Pizza because, well, I don't live in New York. New Yorkers have told me that their pizza is so good because the water is so good. :) Anyway, my husband is addicted to New York pizza and compares EVERY pizza he eats with it, with most pizzas falling far short. Imagine my surprise when I accidently created a homemade pizza that he was so excited about that he said it was almost exactly like New York pizza! (A very high praise coming from him) He told me to write it down so I wouldn't forget (haha) and always wants me to make it this way now. So, here's my version of New York cheese pizza!

New York Cheese Pizza

Dough: (From the Betty Crocker Red Cookbook)
2 1/2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast
3 tbsp oil
1 cup very warm water (120-130) I use well water, straight from the tap!

On Top:
Jarred Spaghetti Sauce
1/2 an 8oz block of Mozz. cheese, shredded
1/2 an 8 oz block of New York Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 an 8 oz block of Montery Jack cheese, shredded
Grated Parmesean cheese
(Sorry, but these are all approximate, I don't really measure, and we love a TON of cheese, so feel free to change it around)

Instructions: Mix dough ingredients (just 1 c. of the flour) on med. speed for 3 minutes. Add the rest of the flour until it's soft and not sticking to the bowl. (Trust me, this takes a lot of practice, but once you achieve the perfect flour amount once, you'll recognize it after that) Knead 5-8 minutes or until dough is soft and springy. Cover loosely and let rise 30 minutes. Divide the dough into two equal parts.

Here's the New York part. Very, very thin crust. Heat oven to 425 and grease 2 cookie sheets or round pizza pans. I use a rolling pin to get the crust very thin. If it's not stretching well (keeps shrinking back) let it rest 5 to 10 minutes and try again. I usually roll it out as far as it possibly can go. Here's the other trick: don't prebake it like the recipe actually says to. I accidently put toppings on it that day, before prebaking it. I was really upset and my husband told me just to make it anyway. :) Good thing I listened! Spread with plenty of sauce and sprinkle tons of cheese. Now, the recipe says the second baking should be 8-10 minutes. I just watch it pretty closely. I set the timer for 10 minutes and then watch for the cheese to start browning to make sure the crust isn't too underdone. Once again, it's a practice thing that's hard to describe, but once you see it, you'll know. Pull it out, sprinkle with Parmesean cheese and eat it hot!

I plan on playing with the crust recipe to see if I can get it any closer to New York pizza, so if you have any ideas (besides moving to New York for their water) let me know! Go to Life as Mom, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tammy's Kitchen Tips or Tasty Tuesday for other great recipes!

11 comments:

Lynn on April 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM said...

This looks really good.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home on April 28, 2009 at 12:08 AM said...

Sounds great! I love cheese pizza!

Ginger on April 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM said...

Homemade pizza is sooo good!
Ginger

Sarah on April 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM said...

Can't wait to try it! I LOVE NY pizza!

Brenda on April 28, 2009 at 1:48 PM said...

Pizza is one of my favorites and this looks great!

Michele on April 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM said...

I had to laugh when I read your post because I am just like your husband. I only like New York pizza and all of the homemade recipes I was reading about did not come close. Then I found this site (I am not affiliated with it at all) and these people are pizza afficiondos! The site is pizzamaking.com and they have a whole section devoted to making NY pizza. One thing they say is to not use oil in the dough or the sauce. And after you make the dough refrigerate it for 24 hours or more. The other trick is to get the oven as hot as possible and preheating it for an hour. I bake my pizza at 550 degrees. Here is the recipe I use for dough:

1 2/3 cup water
3 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 tsp yeast

I'm still refining my sauce, but so far we like this pizza the best - it's the closest to NY pizza that we've come. Hope this helps!

Jerralea on April 28, 2009 at 4:05 PM said...

Pizza is my all-time favorite. I roll out my pizza dough, too.

annies home on April 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM said...

can't beat betty with pizza

Pam on April 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM said...

This sounds so good. My entire family loves cheese pizza.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace on April 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM said...

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds great.

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes on May 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM said...

Thanks for this great recipe. My family loves pizza and this one looks really good.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin