"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, March 30, 2009

Mom Monday


I am so excited about the little orangish package that came in the mail today! Recently, I have been struggling to find things to do to keep my 19 month old daughter and me entertained throughout the day. It can be hard to come up with new, age appropriate things to do inside when it's yuckie outside (I live in Ohio, enough said). I was getting tired of the library and same old books, movies and puzzles. That's when I came upon something new!

Crystal at Mom of Littles recently talked about some of the new books they were reading that they'd received through paperback swap. I had heard of it before and I finally decided to try it out. I am so glad I did! I posted 10 books from our bookshelves we never even look at and I automatically got 2 free credits to use towards requesting books to be sent to me. I used one to order the above book and am so excited! It took less than a week to come and I can't wait to look through it with Lizzy.

PaperBackSwap.com - Our online book club offers free books when you swap, trade, or exchange your used books with other book club members for free.


Here's how it works: Click on the blue PaperBackSwap picture above. Sign up with your information. List 10 books you no longer want that are in good condition (you enter the ISBN into their site and it automatically pulls up all the info on the book) and automatically get 2 free credits. Whenever someone requests a book from you (I've already had 6 requests!) you wrap it with a wrapper you print from the site, tape it up good, mail it at your expense (usually around 2.50-3.00) and then you receive a credit when they receive the book. Each credit gets you a book sent to you at the mailer's expense. The site has a ton of fun features (like wish lists and even paid printable postage) and literally millions of books listed. You're sure to find one you like! They also have board books for kids, hardback books, textbooks, and even audiobooks (cost 2 credits).

I got a new book to read with Lizzy and all I had to do was clean out our bookshelf! I definitely recommend this to any moms looking for some new books to read with their little ones or even for themselves, I won't tell! Any of you have some good frugal suggestions for activities for little ones? You can go to Frugal Friday to see lots of other tips for saving money!

5 comments:

Amy Ellen on March 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM said...

I've heard several people comment that this is a good resource. I should head over and check it out! Thanks for posting to remind me about it...

Courtney@Booksnboys on March 31, 2009 at 12:47 PM said...

I had a 19 month old six months ago so I have recent experience with activities inside :) Here are some of my ideas (fyi, I only have boys):
We like to fill up the sink with soap/water and play (works especially well when you're making dinner/doing dishes)
I got a bunch of wooden blocks and we would build towers and smash them of course, but we would also practice sorting them out by color.
We would turn on music and my boys would dance and then I would randomly turn the music off and they had to freeze in whatever position they were in.
Hope that helps you a little!

Sarah on April 10, 2009 at 12:48 AM said...

I used to feel the same way, trying to figure out what to do next with my child, until I discovered it doesn't take much to keep them entertained. That's if I can take it one more time!

Tracey on April 10, 2009 at 7:17 AM said...

I am also a huge fan of paperbackswap! Just received a like-new book from someone this week by using their service. Have a wonderful day!

Niki Jolene on April 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM said...

Everyone keeps talking about this site..I really have to check it out!

:)

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin