"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Seasonal Produce


Yay! The end of March already. I can hardly believe it. I love the beginning of a new month. New menu plans, new budgets, new goals. It feels like a new beginning, especially when the new month is April and I know the weather will continue to improve! Well, maybe... I do live in Ohio and it DID snow Sunday night... blah!

Anyway, here's the list of seasonal produce for April. I've found it to generally follow with what's on sale in my local grocery stores. I finally figured out that my grocery bills could be lower if I planned my menus around the seasonal ( read: SALE) produce. I started flipping through my cookbooks' indexes and found an ample supply of recipes to make with the sale produce. Hope this helps in your kitchen planning!

April Seasonal Produce
Asparagus (I've seen it on "sale" lately, but not a price I would pay... yet)
Bananas
Cabbages
Escarole
Onions
Pinapple
Radishes
Rhubarb
Spinach
Strawberries (once again, I've seen them on sale, but they're sad looking. I think I'll wait until picking season starts here-which for Ohio is June)

It may vary by region (I live in Ohio, so produce can be touch and go) so good luck! This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Kitchen Tip Tuesday where you can see lots of other food and kitchen tips!

6 comments:

Live.Love.Eat on March 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM said...

Hey there. Happy TMTT! I love new months as well, I get very motivated then. So, happy end of March and beginning of April. I love the Produce section!!!!

Courtney@Booksnboys on March 31, 2009 at 12:50 PM said...

I love buying produce on sale :) I just got cabbage for 25cents a pound around St. Patrick's Day. Thanks for the list - I will have to keep an eye on my flyers to see if I can do better at expanding my produce knowledge (escarole? what's that?).

Amy Ellen on March 31, 2009 at 1:03 PM said...

Hi Janeen!

I do know a bit about Agave Necter and will post my thoughts later today. It takes me a while to write a post... I am a slow writer... so check back later this afternoon.

The strawberries here are quite sad too. But, we pick the first of May... and boy are we excited about that... we are hoping for 12 gallons, at least. (This is possible because of the children's help in picking!)

Peace and joy, Amy Ellen

Amy Ellen on March 31, 2009 at 2:48 PM said...

Hi Janeen,

I didn't feel pestered : ) I just wanted to give the question a thorough answer.

Yes, we eat maple syrup because the boiling process does not change the food itself... as in hydrolyzation. Maple Syrup is cooked, but not dramatically changed. Still, all sweeteners need to be consumed in moderation.

Thanks again for your question, AE

Unknown on March 31, 2009 at 4:21 PM said...

Love your post! This past year, I've learned so much about meal planning around seasonal produce. Fresh food and a better price when in season.

Thanks for sharing!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace on March 31, 2009 at 9:28 PM said...

This is such great tip and handy info. Thanks linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin