"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Frugal Friday


Well, this week has been very tough and long and I'm sooo glad it's almost over. I hope to resume more regular blogging again next week.

This Frugal Friday is going to be the hardest and most trying for me because I'm going to make myself accountable to the blog world. As I've said in the past, our finances have been hit very hard, but this month has been about the worst so far. We're still trusting God and waiting on Him to provide work, but this coming month (March) has been declared a no spending that's not absolutely necessary month. This is the first time I've attempted to cut back this much and I know it's going to take a lot of discipline and my husband and I will need to encourage each other in this. I've read some blogs recently of other people doing similar "spending fasts" so it's given me hope and inspiration. It's going to be good for me to work to use up my pretty well stocked stockpile (foodwise) and learn to stay home more to save gas and such.

I hope to blog about our success and experiences along the way. I'm sure this is going to be a HUGE learning experience for us and I hope to share anything I learn with you all. It's always better to learn it from someone else than having to learn it the hard way. :) My husband always tells me about a great Christian teacher from India that used to say: "The greatest wedding gift we received was from God and it was a few years of finacial struggle." He says that starting out their marriage struggling taught them to learn to live within their means and set them up to do well when things weren't so hard anymore. I hope this is true for us and I'm trusting God that this is just a season. So, until it passes, bring on the lessons! If any of you have any stories, experiences or suggestions that would help, please let me know. Like I said, I'd rather learn from other people's experiences than the hard way! :)

Plan for March:
Spend no money on anything except necessities, like housing and utilities.

4 comments:

Hannah on February 26, 2009 at 11:33 PM said...

Learning to live within your means is such a great thing! It will bring a lot of peace to you. Best wishes as you embark on your journey!

Mom2fur on February 27, 2009 at 10:47 AM said...

Best of luck to you! If it helps, there's a great site called Supercook.com where you enter what ingredients you already have and it gives you back a bunch of recipes you can make. Cutting back on groceries by using what's on hand is a great way to save money!

I hope work comes your way soon. I wouldn't be surprised that the change of seasons will bring it!

Brooke on February 27, 2009 at 1:56 PM said...

i guess instead of "good luck" i should say "the Lord be with you".

its not easy, but i'm sure you'll find it rewarding.

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) on February 28, 2009 at 8:48 PM said...

Sometimes God gives us a really hard time so that we can enjoy the coming rewards.

My Prayers will be with you and yours.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin