"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wednesday Wifehood


I have been reflecting a lot lately about wifehood, motherhood and the home. I have been doing a lot of thinking about how I can better serve my family and take care of my home. Last week, November 12th, I was listening to Revive Our Hearts again about Titus 2 and I was greatly encouraged by what she was saying. You can see the transcripts or listen here.

One main theme really stood out to me. "A wife’s service really is to God. The husband and children just get to receive the benefits of it... When it comes to homemaking, it’s not how skillful a cook you are or how skillful a seamstress you are. It’s the heart for serving and pleasing Jesus—and doing that in the context of a home so that you can bless and encourage primarily your own family, but also others from the base of your home." Amen! What an encouragement as wives, especially because the bible tells us that our husbands are a symbol of Jesus to us. By submitting to and serving our husbands, we are really serving Christ. It is so important to remember this as things can get very boring and mundane. Doing the laundry and changing dirty diapers all day can be very discouraging. But when we remember that we are first and foremost serving Jesus, we can have joy and peace. I don't have to be perfect at what I am doing. It's ok if my daughter destroys the house 10 minutes after I clean it up, because it's not really about the house being clean anyway. It's about my heart and love for Christ, my husband and my child.

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin