"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, November 10, 2008

Mom Monday


My husband and I were talking last week about being a Christian woman and I was frustrated because I felt like the bible wasn't giving me enough clear direction for everyday life. It is my heart's desire to honor God and serve my family, but sometimes I lack understanding of what that truely looks like. God heard my cry and the very next day I was driving somewhere and heard the radio program on Moody Radio called "Revive Our Hearts" and the topic was.... Titus 2:1-5! She sat there and talked about everything I was frustrated about. She talked about what Titus 2:1-5 means for us today practically. I am very blessed by this series she is doing called "God's Beautiful Design for Women: Living Out Titus 2:1-5." Today's message especially encouraged me as I have recently been discussing with someone here on my blog about being a keeper at home. Today's message was "The True Value of Your Home" and I highly recommend either listening to it or reading the transcript, which you can do by clicking on the link above. What an encouragement, as wives and mothers, to be reminded that what we do day in and day out matters very much, especially to God. The munane and seemingly unimportant (especially in today's culture/ the world system) is not forgotten by God. Be encouraged to do what God desires for you as a woman, even when our culture tells us it's outdated and worthless!

Now let me be clear. I am not condemning anyone who doesn't stay home full time. That is not the point of this. Also, I don't believe people are "bad" if they work outside of theor home. If a husband and wife have a clear conscience before God, the husband thinks it's ok, and the home won't suffer, then the wife is free to do it. We, as Christians, have freedom. As my husband would put it, the "keepers at home" verse is not a law. You aren't going to go to hell if you don't do it. It's sort of like... God's best for you. It's something God desires for us to do and I decided when I got saved that I wanted to do what God desires for me. It's likely that many people would benefit and be edified if a wife were to stay home. It creates a more peaceful, restful environment for everyone. As Christians, there are two main things we need to do. Love God with all your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbor as youself. 1 Corinthians talks several times about foregoing our own personal liberties for the good and edification of others. Check your actions. If they fit with these two things, then you are ok. If your conscience is condemning you, however, you do need to change. Don't go against it. If it's in your heart to stay home, pray about it, talk to your husband about it and then take a leap of faith. I know many have.

Let me also say something about culture. The bible makes it very clear that while we still live in this world, we are not to be a part of it; we are to come out from the world system. Our culture says that many things are ok that plainly go against the bible. Living together and having sex before marraige, homosexuality, divorce (same rate as unbelievers now), lying and cheating your way to the top and changing your sex and so many more things are becoming the norm in our culture and time period. This does not make them ok. I am not going to pick parts of the bible that our culture says we don't need to follow and then not do them. Our culture is never an excuse for not following the bible. Jesus says people will hate us because we are His. We will be different. We shouldn't seek to be different, we just will be by following Him. We aren't supposed to be blending in to our surroundings. Christians need to start being bold and stop being "politically correct."

2 comments:

Katy on November 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM said...

hello! I was blog hopping and found your blog...and I read this post and I totally agree with you! :) I love to be at home and be a homekeeper, housewife and stay at home, homeschooling mama. I truly feel it is what my calling is. I DO feel that most women should be following this similar role...but I don't know what God's plans are for each woman out there...and who am I to try and guess? So I live my life and try to be a witness and let God convict hearts! :)

Anyway...I agreed with your post...and i just wanted to say Hello! :)

Kristin on November 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM said...

I would say that I pretty much agree with you and think you stated it very well. I would love to stay at home at times, and at other times, my job isn't a normal job where I have to. Besides, I am pretty much at home until 11am and am back in time for dinner. I make a point to try very hard though to be home when Dave is. To me, that is the most important time for me to be there. Sure, there are times when I need to be at work and he's at home, but honestly I think he enjoys those few moments alone. It's not an every day occurance by any means. It's actually Dave who thinks I need to work, since we don't have children yet. He thinks I will get bored and then that will lead to me finding things to do that aren't always beneficial, like gossiping, watching TV, spending money, and such. I think when I have children the transition will make more sense, but right now I don't feel as if it is hurting our family (or my relationship to God) in any way. If it came to that point, I would quit in a heartbeat. This is what we feel, but I'm not saying it's for everyone.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin