"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Homeschooling: Help!



Ok, so my oldest daughter is only 2 1/2, but I already know that I want to home school, I've even read a bit about it and some methods and I'm really excited to begin. I know in my gut that I need to get some more organization and structure in our days now, while it's still early. I'd love to spend more time helping my daughter learn, though I know it'll be pretty informal right now.

But honestly? When I started looking at different methods, curriculum's and books and doing some research for that "some day," I started to get really overwhelmed. Wow. Where do you begin? And how do you pick? I don't even know where to begin!!! How about you? Do you home school? What works for you?

5 comments:

Ellie W. on April 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM said...

I just started homeschooling this year! I have a 6 year old & a 2 year old. We are almost done with Kindergarten & it's been so rewarding. It's not easy (I'm slightly envious of all those moms who send their kids off to school & have time to run errands), but it's so worth it. I talked to as many people as I could before choosing a curriculum that fit us (we went with My Father's World because it's very detailed, but flexible!) Good luck & keep praying about it!

annies home on April 28, 2010 at 3:37 PM said...

good for you home schooling is one of the most rewarding carreers

Kela on April 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM said...

We are finishing up our second year of homeschooling and I can tell you it is an ever-changing process! It takes a while to figure out what works for your kids and for you. We love to read so we follow a Charlotte Mason/literature-based style and we use workboxes to keep it all organized. We're not strict about either method. You have to tweak things to make them work for you. For the next few years, you don't need to do any serious/heavy work. Probably just keep up what you're already doing and help your daughter explore the world around her. I would suggest Five In A Row as a gentle beginner for young children. (It's also easy for mom!)

Lisa Heuermann on April 29, 2010 at 11:45 AM said...

We've been homeschooling for 10yrs (have 5 kids) and love it. My oldest will graduate this year and I'll have another starting in K this coming school year. I can't wait to start at the beginning again. I recommend Letteroftheweek.com for preschool, I loved Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons, and Five in a Row. Most importantly is to READ, READ, READ, and play lots of games, my kiddos learned tons of number recognition and early math with a deck of cards. Just have fun with it.

Kathy Rambousek on April 29, 2010 at 11:50 PM said...

Weve been homeschooling for 9 years now. Wow - that's hard to believe. My eldest son will be entering high school next year and still wants to be homeschooled. I love the time that I have with my boys, and I love the opportunity to be a part of their education. For those younger ages, I loved using the "Five in a Row" program. I even found the teacher's book in the library. :) Homeschooling was the best decision we could have made for our family, and I wish you all the best.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin