"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Frugal Tip: Word of Mouth




Quite honestly, one of the best frugal practices I've ever come across is the ancient and extremely simple "Word of Mouth." You can seriously apply this to anything.

It's by word of mouth that I read about new printable coupons I wouldn't have found by myself. It's by word of mouth that I find out when there's special store deals going on. It's by word of mouth I find out about clearances. It's by word of mouth I hear about great non-food deals like appliances. How often have you bought or even received something for free because your friend's aunt's brother-in-law need to get rid of it fast?

Knowing this principle, anytime my husband and I need something, I often pass the word out to my family and friends. Whether it's a car, furniture, apartment or job possibilities, we usually find what we're looking for by word of mouth. Actually, we've had to turn many things away because we were receiving too much stuff!

Example: We were recently looking for an apartment and I mentioned it to my mom. I was getting a little overwhelmed at the task of sorting through all the possibilities in the area and I wasn't having much luck.

The day after I told my mom we were looking, she sent me a listing for the apartment we're now moving into on Saturday. It's a wonderful deal for the area and is just a few minutes from my husband's job. It was a blessing to our family to get this apartment and I doubt I would have found that listing if my mom hadn't sent it to me. It was from a site I didn't know much about.

So I am extremely thankful to have such wonderful friends and family that look out for our best interests and are willing to help us. I'm also thankful for the great online blogging community (word of mouth!) I found a few years ago that I'm positive has taught me frugal living ideas and deals that have saved my family thousands! Never under estimate the finer thing of word of mouth!!

4 comments:

Amy @ Finer Things on March 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM said...

So true! Even with technology at our fingertips, word of mouth often trumps all.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama on March 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM said...

I agree!

Abbi on March 6, 2010 at 11:47 PM said...

Word of mouth has helped us so many times in saving money. Another term might be networking. It is fun to be part of a community where we can help each other out.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son on March 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM said...

That really is great advice. You can find the best, unexpected deals and things by word of mouth. Plus you often end up helping friends (or friends of friends), which makes it even better.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin