"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Friday, January 15, 2010

Giving Hope to Haiti



There are no doubts about it. What Jesus said is true. "The poor will always be among you." I'm not sure why, either. I've always wondered why there can be those that are so rich and those that are so poor. It's never made logical sense to me and a part of me wants desperately to change the world. But the next thought that follows is so predictable:

I'm only one person. I can't change the world.

Perhaps. But I know of One who did change the world. I know One who's still changing the world. He does it in the most peculiar way, too... with us. It doesn't take much to change a life. The thought that you have to take on the world to make a difference is a lie. It comes from a liar who would have people sit comfortably, thanklessly in their "self-made" lives, believing they can do nothing and that that excuses them from responsibility.

Why is it that the heart cries out in compassion on behalf of these people, before we have a chance to silence it with our "logic?" With the logic of disconnection. We live in the world of instant news, instant conversation, instant information and yet, we pretend not to see pain and hurt. We're desensitized to it.

If you've been watching the news at all, anywhere, you know of the situation in Haiti. I can tell you as a civil engineer what a terrible situation it is. It actually does seem hopeless. My physical mind reels at the thought of how much time, work and money it will take to make that area livable again.

And yet, do you know where I see Jesus most often? Dealing in the business of the hopeless. Reaching out to those with no one else and nothing else to support them any longer. My God is in the business of taking a hopeless situation (sin) and turning it into something beautiful (a death that paid the price). It may not seem beautiful on the outside, but to those who would take a closer look, from death comes life. From the hopeless, comes hope. From destruction, comes restoration.

You may not have much, and neither do I, but you know that tug on your heart. It's there for a purpose. And I can assure you, when you give sacrificially, with a joyful heart, the joy that comes back to you is tenfold. I often think that giving is so much more rewarding than receiving. So now, I challenge you. Will you hush that tug on your heart with logic? Will you reason away your desire to change the world? You may not change THE world, but I bet you can change A world.

So here's the challenge. Money Saving Mom is doing something:

For every person who blogs about what you specifically did to help those in Haiti and leaves your link below by January 21, 2010, my husband and I will personally donate $10 to Compassion's outreach in Haiti.

If you don't have a blog, you can leave a comment on this post or email me with details on what you specifically did to help. For every person who comments or emails telling me what they did to help, my husband and I will donate $0.30 to Numana to provide one meal for a starving person.

Will you join in? Will you be one more drop in the bucket, filled with the water of life? If so, head over to Money Saving Mom and link up what you plan to do/are doing to be the water of life. While you're at it, link up here on this blog too, because I pledge to donate $0.25 for every person that links up here or leaves a comment as well.

Here are three safe ways to give, if you can:

https://www.compassion.com/contribution/giving/disasterrelief.htm?referer=105120SocialSponsorshipBlitz

http://www.numanainc.com/donate.cfm

https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?4306.donation=form1&idb=428732091&df_id=4306&JServSessionIdr004=yxa9a0v901.app194a&NoJSReload=1

So tell us, and link up below, what you plan to do to change A life!

38 comments:

LJJ on January 15, 2010 at 9:51 AM said...

I gave to Compassion International and the Red Cross. Thanks for doing this!

TalesFromEwe on January 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM said...

I now have hope for Haiti! Utilizing the social networking media for such a worthy cause as this is amazing and I am grateful to have a way to help in the small way that I can. Thank you for such a wonderful idea and a way to make a difference in this world.

Anonymous said...

Praying and donated to Red Cross and Compassion International.

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling on January 15, 2010 at 3:14 PM said...

As I go through the blogosphere today, I amazed at the generous and concerned people I find. Praise the Lord!
Our family is sending up prayers to the One who can do the most!!
Our church also took and sent contributions in.
My heart breaks especially for the little ones affected. We truly are blessed and I am thankful that we are able to bless others in return!

This Thrifted Life on January 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM said...

I donated to Doctors Without Borders--thansk for leaving me a comment to let me know about your wonderful generosity. I am constantly amazed at how so many bloggers can pull together and make a differnce in people's lives.

FLmom7 on January 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog so I can donate to Haiti.

Kelly on January 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM said...

My husband and I are donating to Hope for Haiti's Children. Thanks for your comment on my blog!

Maggie on January 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM said...

Thank you for doing this. My husband and I donated through Samaritan's Purse. And now I'm clicking to comment on every site I can...every little bit helps!

Andrea on January 15, 2010 at 5:45 PM said...

Thank you for doing this. You and these other bloggers are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you are doing!!!!!

Tiffany on January 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM said...

Due to our financial situation, I am commenting on as many sites as possible to raise donations for the relief effort. Bless you for not only helping but providing a way for everyone to help too!

Unknown on January 15, 2010 at 8:52 PM said...

Thanks for doing this! We've donated to Red Cross and I'm commenting like crazy on blogs to help raise additional funds.

Anonymous said...

Today, I posted a note on Facebook about donating just by texting HAITI to 90999. Read more about it here and PLEASE help those in need: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/14/financial/f145718S28.DTL&type=business

Carey on January 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM said...

God bless you for helping! Every ONE of us can make a difference.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making comment-fueled donations! I texted my donation and I'm now commenting on new blogs in order to increase the donation potential :)

Jennette on January 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM said...

We gave to Red Cross via txt and YeleHaiti via txt. Thanks for your efforts!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing this.

Anonymous said...

My husband is a Haitian American, and we are devastated by this disaster.
I appreicate all you do and keeping people in Haiti in your prayers. We donated to Red Cross and Direct Relief International. We are also planning on donating to other organizations as well. Again, thank you for your help.

mm said...

I dont have a blog, but my family and I have been praying since it happened and our Catholic Church as well as throughout the nation are doing 2nd collections this weekend. My family have been donating our extra stuff from our pantry and other tolietries stuff, we aslo plan to to help out with our church doing drives to send over to Haiti as well.

Carrie said...

thanks for making comment-fueled donations! i donated via text & am commenting on blogs to increase the giving potential. :)

Anonymous said...

We donated 50 dollars to Redcross.

Brecken on January 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM said...

I decided to donate to 'Doctors without Borders.' Thanks for all you are doing!!

Anonymous said...

My family donated to Samaritan's Purse and Compassion International.

Summer on January 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM said...

I'm giving to the Red Cross and the LDS Church. Thanks for doing this!

Robyn on January 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM said...

We donated to Catholic Relief Services which goes directly to Haiti, and my 6 year old son wants to donate the charity portion of his allowance to Haiti. God bless you, you're doing a great thing!

Lannea on January 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM said...

We sponsor a child through WorldVision and we are sending a donation through them:) Thanks for donating for my comment!

Unknown on January 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM said...

We gave through CrossWorld International and are praying.

Havoc on the Hardwood on January 16, 2010 at 5:36 PM said...

I'm giving $10 eCOUPONs to my online gift store Gifts For One Gifts For All (www.giftsforonegiftsforall.com) to those that have donated to organizations helping the Haitian earthquake victims. When the eCOUPON is redeemed, 10% of the purchase will also be donated to organizations helping Haiti. Read my blog for more details at http:/bit.ly/DONATE2HAITI on how you can receive your eCOUPON for donating.

Tracy @ Hall of Fame Moms on January 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM said...

I joined in as well to pay per comment! Now I'm visiting other bloggers who are doing it too.

tadpoledrain on January 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM said...

thank you for doing this. i’m so impressed with how many bloggers are doing something similar — i’m trying to leave comments wherever i can. came here from watchingthewaters.wordpress.com

Jan J. on January 17, 2010 at 3:47 AM said...

I donated to God's Littlest Angels orphanage. I haev been out of work a while as a single adoptive mom and have no idea how I will pay my bills when they come in, but I feel like the most blessed person in the world right now.

Jenna @ Newlyweds on January 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM said...

What a wonderful thing you are doing. I pray for all the Haiti people. I am also donating $1.00 for every comment on my blog.

Paige on January 17, 2010 at 6:13 PM said...

Thanks for doing this! I have blogged about it and posted on Facebook. I'm giving to Doctors without Borders and saying lots of prayers.

Unknown on January 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM said...

thank you so much for doing this! i donated to UNICEF & donated some swagbucks as well.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? on January 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM said...

I'm donating to UMCOR. Thanks for donating!

Family Page on January 20, 2010 at 2:37 PM said...

Thanks!

Candace @Bloganthropy and @Mamanista on January 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM said...

We're donating up to $200 of our Mamanista money (plus matching): $1 for Bloganthropy pledges to use your social media influence to support charitable causes, 50 cents for Bloganthropy facebook fans.

We also have a link widget up on Bloganthropy now for anyone who wants to share their posts.

prizeisright on January 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM said...

Thank you for what you are doing; I know that you are blessing those that are suffering the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti. Being inspired by you and all of the other Help for Haiti bloggers, I am giving $100 to Doctors without Borders, which the kind folks at :http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php are matching. Matching donations really helps, and consequently, I wrote my last post about where people can find people who are willing to match their donations (its being done by people other than just employers), donate to auctions, volunteer, donate airline miles and cell phones and gadgets, attend benefits, and more. So even if you can't give very much there are ways to stretch that amount. And that is what I am trying to do. My next post will contain updates and even more places that let people get involved; and I hope to start my own donation for a link/comment challenge; but it will take a couple days for me to finish this post. http://thescholarshipblog.blogspot.com/
Again, thank you.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin