"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Frugal Friday and Finer Things Friday: Cooking Skills




I had always heard people suggest doing things you normally do and including your toddlers in it. I did this a little bit last summer, but now I'm finally beginning to do that more with my oldest, who's two, and it's been so wonderful! Sure, it takes a little longer to get some things done, but she's learning some important things and now begs me throughout the day to let her "help." She pushes her chair over to the counter and looks for things to do. Even on a stool she's still too short, so we use a dining room chair for now!

(No, I didn't let her touch that knife, don't worry)
Forget all those expensive toys! Give my girl a potato and a plastic knife and she's happy!


Another thing she loves is when I give her a baby wipe. She'll go all over the house "cleaning" for me. Her wipe often looks pretty raggedy when she brings it back.... she's showing me up in cleaning skills! She's also a big help with putting clothes into the washer or dryer.

It's one of my goal acheiving Baby Steps this month to include my toddler in the things I'm doing through out the day, like laundry and cooking. So far this month, we're doing pretty good. It helps the time pass on the days that Daddy works 12 hours and it gets her excited about cooking and cleaning. This time we've been spending together has been a bonding experience and educational. I like to think of it as the early homeschooling steps. Looking for something to keep your active toddler busy? You may not have to look any further than your own kitchen or laundry room!

Check out Finer Things Friday for more great posts on the Finer Things and Frugal Friday for other great posts on living life on less!

10 comments:

Relishing Life on January 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM said...

Sometimes it is hard to slow down in order to let the little ones help me with my tasks!! But, it is so worth it! My son (5 yo) LOVES to bake with me! I hope that by letting him and his younger brother help now (but I sure have a long way to go in the way of letting them help more!!) that I will be helping foster their desire to continue to helping as they grow into young men and adults.

Coupon Teacher on January 8, 2010 at 7:46 AM said...

She is so cute, and you are doing her a great favor by teaching her early!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet on January 8, 2010 at 9:04 AM said...

What a blessing! I know your daughter is loving it! :D I started in the kitchen early with my mom and also started my daughter early. She is 14 now and loves cooking!

Michelle on January 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM said...

Oh yea, it takes longer, but it really is worth it.

I let my 3 year old "help" me vacuum...she loves that. But i also make her chore cards and she loves to do the things on her cards.

Mama Laundry on January 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM said...

You're going to be so happy you've started letting her help you! It will pay off in big ways down the road. My son is only 4 3/4, but he still pitches in to help with trash bags, sweeping floors, etc because I had him help me early on.

Washing dishes (plastic only!) is a good past time too. And cheap!!

Nice work, Mama! :)

Holly on January 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM said...

isn't it awesome watching them learn things like that? she is getting to be so big, and such a mama's helper!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace on January 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM said...

I love this. I have a 2 1/2 yr old. I let her "help" in the kitchen, but probably should be patient and let her "help" more often. She also loves having a wipe to clean house with mommy, too. Fine moments indeed.

Frugal Sara on January 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM said...

My boys are 4 and 3 and they LOVE to do everything that I do. It teaches them so much. Looks like she is having a great time!

Amy @ Finer Things on January 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM said...

You're doing great, Mama. I think our little ones learn best when they are doing ordinary, every day stuff with us... not hanging out with fancy toys and videos and expensive learning activities outside the home.

Shara said...

I think its hilarious how little kids want to help, precisly when their at the age that it's the hardest to have them help. Once they get bigger, they don't Want to any more. lol. My so in 19 months old and I swear that little turkey will throw the biggest fit if I try to do things for him, but if I let him help, he's happy, and actually does a pretty good job, for being so little.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin