"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Book Review: Girl Talk



I recently received the book "Girl Talk" by Gigi Garner published by Five Star Publications to read and review through MamaBuzz. This book is meant for women of all ages and is $15.95.

Girl Talk is a book, written by a woman, filled with tips, stories and encouragement from women all over, both famous and not so famous. Categories of talk include friends, career, clothes, beauty, pet, travel and more. Tips range from a few sentences to half a page. Some tips are unique and some I've heard before. Basically, the book is meant to be like a group of women getting together and sharing their life lessons with one another.

Overall, I think that this book had some great tips and encouragement. I learned a few things (like baby powder shaken on an oil or makeup stain will absorb it right out). It's kind of like the things you learn from your mom or best friends. I always find it interesting to read about other people's experiences and I love to learn practical life lessons from them.

My only disappointment that is that this book with not a Christian book. Some of the women sharing their tips and stories were Christians and included God in their reflections, but overall most of the encouragement was either just worldly advice or about "spirituality" without God or "a higher power." Not that the worldly advice was bad (I will definitely remember that baby powder trick!) but it didn't enrich me in my Christian walk much.

If you're looking for a gift for a woman friend or are interested in learning some tried and try life lessons (unfortunately, for a mostly secular point of view) then you might consider this book. If you're really interested, I'll be posting my copy of the book to Paper Back Swap later. Feel free to request it from me!

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin