"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, October 12, 2009

Gratituesday: Our Health


I think I often take our family's health for granted. I'm very healthy. My daughters are very healthy. In fast, my oldest daughter has only seen a doctor once which was 2 months ago and has only had something more than a cold once. My youngest is about 4 months old and she's looking fabulous as well. Neither of them have had any shots (that may change, I'm still unsure) and we have only been going to the doctor lately so that if something does happen (like it did once to oldest) we won't be on a 2 week new patient list.

However, with my hubby lately developing some breathing issues (I'm listening to him wheeze on the couch now because he can only fall asleep sitting up) I'm realizing just how blessed we have been. I have been blessed to not have to endure the stress and anxiety that illness can bring about, not only for the sick person, but me. As mom and wife, I feel it is my responsibility to keep everyone in good health as much as possible, but I am powerless to help my husband. I've been trying everything I can think of and few things seem to help. I feel frustrated at my unablility to "fix it." We don't have health insurance, so we can't just go to a doctor to find out what's wrong. If all else fails, we might.

Isn't it a shame that we tend to forget to be grateful for many things until something threatens them? I encourage you, remember to be thankful and proclaim that thanks to God while you are able. You don't want to look back and regret taking some very precious things for granted. I'm sure my hubby will get better soon and when he does I will try to always be very grateful for God's healing and protection over our family!

If you have any tips for me, I would really appreciate them. Here's the low down:

When my husband was a kid, he'd sometimes have trouble breathing (asthma like symptoms) especially in winter and the country. His mom would give him Vick's vaporub which seemed to help. He hasn't had it happen in years until a few weeks ago when he noticed difficulty breathing, especially when lying down or resting. He seems to get better when he leaves the house, except once while he was in Phoenix. We have mold problems I am now addressing with bleach, Kilz and mildew resistant paint. Someone suggested acid reflux. He said the allergy pills I sometimes give him help. Vick's isn't really helping, but it does bring out a cough. We replaced the furnace filter recently and are now living "in the country" type area since last February.

That's everything I can think of. I've been racking my brain to come up with things to do. I'm washing every piece of washable surface and material we have. Bedding, drapes and towels. I'm dusting. I'll be sweeping and mopping soon. I'd greatly appreciate any tips and prayers!!

3 comments:

Holly on October 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM said...

Janeen, I hope Thad feels better soon! Matt has been having the same thing ever since we got hit with the flu 2 months ago. He had asthma when he was little, and it hadn't bothered him for years until now. He just got this thing from Amazon that is a salt pipe inhaler. It is initially a little expensive, but it really seems to work. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OZQBV8/ref=ox_ya_oh_product
maybe it might help. Hugs to all of you!

Anonymous said...

My husband also has asthma like symptoms and develops asthmatic bronchitis always around the holidays every year. But this year we are trying to battle the symptoms before they get out of control. He does have an inhaler that he can use as needed but doesn't use it. He does take a combination of benydral and singular...the benydral is a 4hour and the singular is a once a day. I know that we get it by prescription but sometimes you can use claritan instead of the singular which you can get over the counter. Sorry such a long post, but with both of my young children and my husband all on allergy maintenance meds I feel like I have learned alot about them.

Thanks, and I hope it helps some.
Tracy

Chrysee on October 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM said...

If the respiratory problems become worse when resting as you say, I would be very careful to see a doctor to rule out the possibility of sleep apnea.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin