"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Tuna Egg Salad


I LOVE this stuff! My mom used to make it when I was a kid, so I guess it's a comfort food. Luckily, it's also very economical (our mom's were good at that, weren't they?) I've also broken it down into calories (still trying to be good about losing that baby weight!) and it's not too damaging, especially for comfort food!

Tuna Egg Salad-3.5-4 WW Points (5-6 servings)
  • 1 5oz. can of light tuna in water (drained-100 calories)
  • 6 hard boiled eggs (peeled and diced-420 calories, ouch!)
  • 2 tablespoons of mayo (220 calories)
  • mustard to taste (0 calories)
  • Dill pickles to taste (I even pour some of the juice in-about 5 calories)
Mix all the ingredients together until it's creamy and tastes good! One serving (about 1/5 of the mixture) will cost you about 148 calories! I toasted an Arnold's Multi Grain Sandwich Thin (100 calories) with 1oz of Mozzarella cheese (80 calories) and topped it with 1/5 of the Tuna mixture. So, I had one of my childhood favorites (Tuna Melt!) for lunch today at about 328 calories. Not bad. You could always make substitutions to make it even lighter (like light mayo, only half a Sandwich Thin or no cheese). Eggs and tuna are fairly cheap which makes this an economical, satisfying comfort food!

**Updated 9/10/09:
As per a comment, I tried this recipe out, substituting 4 tablespoons of plain low fat yogurt for the mayo. To my surprise, I could barely tell a difference and I loved it! The yogurt only added 27.5 calories compared to the mayo's 220 calories! Using this substitution makes this awesome salad only 110 calories per serving (1/5 of the recipe) which brings the WW points down to 2.5-3. Wonderful! Thanks for the tip!!

Too see other frugal ideas, check out Life as Mom's Frugal Friday and to see other fine things, check out Amy's Finer Thing's Friday! Check out Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday for other yummy recipes! Also, You’ll find all kinds of new recipes this weekend at Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade!!

11 comments:

Niki Jolene on August 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM said...

Never had eggies in my tuna before. But I'll try anything once! I recently had Chick-Fil-A's chicken salad sandwich and it had eggies and all kinds of things in it. Different and yummy.

:)

Come by and see me over at Free2BeFrugal!

Mom2fur on August 28, 2009 at 12:10 PM said...

Wow, I never thought about adding egg to tuna salad. What a great idea!

Amy @ Finer Things on August 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM said...

What a great lunch idea. I haven't fixed tuna salad for a while. Might have to try it out on my crew.

mub on September 1, 2009 at 4:15 AM said...

This looks really good! You could probably also use yogurt instead of mayo if you were wanting to cut calories down even more =)

MadeInCanarias on September 1, 2009 at 5:15 AM said...

My bf loves tuna, so I think i will make him some of your salad. Thanks for sharing!

Julie on September 1, 2009 at 12:50 PM said...

I will have to try this for my husband's lunches. He gets tired of the same 'ol thing.

Unknown on September 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM said...

I love tuna salad. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

Brenda on September 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM said...

I have always done eggs with tuna because it stretches the tuna and its still really nutritious

Unknown on September 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM said...

Thanks for sharing. I hope to see you at Crock Pot Wednesday on diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Thanks again for posting.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace on September 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM said...

This is how I like my tuna fish, too!! It is more egg salad than tuna salad. YUm! Thanks for the recipe and linking to TMTT.

Dimes2Vines on February 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM said...

This sounds really good - I'm hungry!
I have a surprise for you so come on by:
http://dimes2vines.com

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin