"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tex Mex Grilled Chicken Salad


With my new baby here now, I am looking for ways of dropping the baby fat that aren't too expensive! I was inspired by my friend recently to check out a book that I'll tell you about soon and I was inspired by this book to create the following salad recipe. Hope you like it! Need inspiration for frugal fare? Check out Life as Mom's Salad Recipe Swap or Frugal Friday! I will be posting on the baby weight loss journey with tips and ideas, so check back soon!

Tex Mex Grilled Chicken Salad

3 Boneless Skinless chicken breasts flattened (about 1.25 lbs, I got it at $1.79 a pound recently, but it would be a great way to use leftovers too!)
2 limes
1 lemon
Couple tablespoons of oil
Chili Powder
Cumin
Salt and Pepper
Lettuce for salad
14.5 oz can of corn kernels (drained)
Salsa
Avocado
Any other salad toppings you like (I threw in peas from the garden)

Place chicken in a ziploc bag with the juice of the limes and lemon, oil and seasonings. I didn't include measurements for the seasonings because, well, I rarely measure them. :) Zip, shake and let the chicken marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or so (you could do longer). Remove chicken and discard the marinade. Grill chicken until done (I used a George Foreman grill without closing it!) Let chicken rest for 10 minutes, then slice into strips. Assemble salad and top with the chicken. We found the chicken to be so juicy and flavorful, it didn't even need a dressing, which saved time, money and calories! :) Trust me, if my husband doesn't think it needs a dressing, that's a miracle and must really be true! He's the king of condiments.

2 comments:

Unknown on July 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM said...

What a YUMMY!!! recipe. GREAT!!! for leftover chicken.
THANKS!!! Geri

Anonymous said...

i tried this tonight with leftover chicken and it was great! thanks.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin