"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Birth Control Part 6


Comment/Question:

Beginning with the first principle; I think the Bible is clear that children are a blessing from the Lord (Genesis 1, Psalm 127). But must we pursue something just because it is a blessing? I don’t think so. For example, Proverbs 18:22 says “He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.” Clearly, a wife is a blessing from the Lord.

But, in 1 Corinthians 7:26-27 Paul says the following: “Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for a man to remain as he is. Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife.” So, here is Paul deliberately telling men not to seek a wife; not to seek a blessing from the Lord. While this example is not sufficient to prove it is permissible to choose not to pursue the blessing of children once a person is married, it is sufficient to answer my question about whether we must pursue something just because it is a blessing; no we do not. Thus, I do not believe a Christ-follower must shun birth control, simply because they would be forgoing a blessing from God. There may be other reasons (and I will address these others later), but this one is not sufficient on its own. Thoughts?

Answer:
By not using birth control, we weren't "persuing" a blessing from God. We just continued in what was natural in a marriage and lo and behold, what is natural came forth.

The idea behind what I said about children being a blessing is that most people today use birth control simply because children are seen as a nuisance that must be controlled (even to the point of abortion). As Christians, we see children as a blessing from God and if He should choose to bless us with them, we aren't going to stop or control that. Just as with a wife in your example. A man should continue the course of his life in a natural, God fearing way and if God should so choose, He will bless him with a wife. When God chooses to bring your wife into your path, did you run the other way and say "Not now God, I'm not ready" or shun/cut her off completely as in an abortion? No, because it was following what God had for you in His perfect timing.

I'll be upfront. I didn't want children yet. I really wanted and hoped that God would allow us time before a child came. I fully believe God is the one who "opens or closes the womb." God creates life, not us. I was hoping with all my heart that God would keep my womb closed, but that wasn't His plan for us and I've come to accept that (after much struggle and growth).
I don't condemn people who use birth control, nor have I made it into a law. I leave it to God to change hearts and tell people what to do. That's one of the reasons I won't argue about it nor break fellowship with someone over it. It's not a salvation issue either way and I'll leave it to God to make it clear what He desires.

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin