"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, January 3, 2011

Mom Monday: What Kind of Mom Do I Want To Be?



I've been reading through Life as Mom's e-book "Organizing Life as Mom" recently and she posed this question: What kind of mom do I want to be?

That's an interesting question, isn't it? My first thought was "a good mom." That's kind of vague. As I thought about it, I realized that everyone's definition of a "good mom" is probably different. I think the concept of being a good mom is obscure and out of reach and creates an unachievable extreme that can cause frustration and failure.

So, maybe I don't want to be a good mom after all. Then what kind of mom do I want to be?
I think I want to be a mom that "loves her children." I want to be a mom whose children "rise up and call her blessed" because of her wisdom and steadfast service. I want my children to remember me as a mom who made mistakes, but was quick to ask forgiveness. I want my children to remember me as a mom who pointed them towards God, instead of trying to cling on to them. I want to be a mom that guides her children, instead of forcing them around.
At the end of my time on this earth as a mom, I want to be able to say that I choose to settle for being "just mom" instead of striving in my own strength to be "super mom." I don't want to try to be perfect, I want to allow God's strength to be made perfect in my weakness. I want to be "just mom" allowing the strength of God to work through me so that one day my children may rise up and call me blessed.
How about you? What kind of mom do you want to be?

1 comments:

Anna on January 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM said...

Hi Janeen, A great post. I sometimes ask myself 'How do I want my children to remember me?' and the answer is always 'As the mother who made them feel loved and who taught them about Jesus.' Blessings, Anna

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin