"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Works For Me Wednesday: Claritin



I've dealt with allergies for as long as I can remember. I was actually on Claritin as a kid every springtime, back when it was a prescription. It never even crossed my mind that one day, my children would have to deal with allergies too.

While at Lizzy's yearly check up, my 2 1/2 year old's nurse practitioner noticed that under her eyes was purple. She said that's a typical sign in children that they have seasonal allergies. That was last August, so I didn't worry about it much. Then we took a trip this March to Alabama. My poor little girl (and I!) were hit pretty hard. I felt so bad, but I didn't know what to do for her besides a nice cool cloth and tissues.

When we came home, things died down again but then Lizzy got some weird rash on her back. I didn't think too much of it because kids are always getting rashes. But when it didn't go away after a week, I began to worry. I tried a cortisone cream on it, but it actually got worse. I was on the verge of taking her to the doctor (because it was close to 2 weeks by then) when a suspicion came into my mind.

I'd heard before that seasonal allergies can manifest as rashes, not just respiratory problems. The nurse practitioner said that our other daughter, Lily, seems to have eczema, which is actually a form of allergy that manifests in the skin. I had received a sample of children's chewable Claritin in grape from Buzz Agent, so I decided to try Lizzy on it since it's ok for kids 2 and older and the nurse practitioner already told me before that she seems to have allergies.

Sure enough, within a few days the rash was beginning to go away. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't think so. I'm not saying that this will work for everyone and I'm certainly not a doctor, so don't just go by my word, but I just wanted to share our story because Claritin worked for us in this case and saved us a trip to the doctor's office! If you're interested in trying it, you can get a coupon for $3/1 non-drowsy Claritin.

3 comments:

Veggiemomof2 on May 26, 2010 at 1:12 PM said...

I'm glad you found something that works for you & your family. I got hit hard this spring, so I'm finally going to get allergy testing this summer & learn preventative care.

Have a great week!

Christian Frugal Mama on May 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM said...

Another great thing I learned from my aunt, for my allergies, is Loratidine. It's a lot cheaper than name brand, but works the same way as claritin and the like. You take it once a day, every day, to build up a wall to block histamines so you won't get symptoms in the first place (or, fewer, depending on how well it works for you). You can even find it at Drugmart and Walmart!

care-in on May 26, 2010 at 10:30 PM said...

We have terrible allergies too and our 2 year old is dealing with eczema. I think I may try this. Thanks for the info!

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin