"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, April 12, 2010

Healthy Recipe: Asaparagus



It's turning to spring here in Ohio and that means asparagus is on sale. Asaparagus is usually one of the first seasonal crops for us. I used to HATE asaparagus, back before I knew that it has to be cooked properly to be good (like most food!) Unfortunately, it's often overcooked which turns it into slimy, mushy nastiness.

If cooked properly, fresh asapargus needs very little to make it incredibly tasty! Plus, it's fairly cheap (in season) and oh so healthy. I've been eating it every night with dinner as part of my detox diet. Here's the way I make it that's incredibly yummy (even my husband and daughter will eat it this way!!)

Steamed Asparagus

  • 1 bunch of asparagus ends trimmed (see below)
  • 1/2 of a whole lemon
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • salt to taste (a pinch or two is good)
  • drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

I hate to be so general with the ingredients list, but this recipe varies by how much asparagus you have, how fresh and tasty it is, and your own preferences. I don't need much dressing to like good asparagus!

Hold one piece of the asparagus and "snap" the end off. It will naturally and easily snap. That end is woodly, chewy, and NOT good. You can save it in the freezer for soup stock if you want, but I just toss it. Line up all the ends of the asparagus stalks and cut off the same amount that you snapped off the first one. Makes life easier that way. :)

I used a steamer pot over a pot of boiling water. Steam it however you want. Doing it my way, I put it over med high heat for 10 minutes from the time I turn the burner on. Check it!! DO NOT OVERCOOK! Asparagus should be pierced fairly easily with a fork without being too soft. It should still have some "bite" or snap to it.

Remove from the heat the second you notice it's done and put on a serving plate. Sprinkle the ginger and salt and drizzle the oil. You can zest the lemon if you want and squeeze the juice over the asparagus. Toss the asparagus in all the oil and juice to lightly coat it and enjoy!

To see other great recipes this week, check out Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday and Tuesdays at the Table!

1 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace on April 14, 2010 at 9:37 PM said...

I am liking your asparagus recipe, too! Thanks for linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin