"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wednesday Wifehood: Trust



TRUST

It's a word that we hear used often, isn't it? We hear it in commercials on tv, we hear it used by big companies filled with people we don't know and we hear children flippantly say it to one another. The word has kind of lost it's meaning in today's society.

So, when I'm upset about something or having a "discussion" with my husband, it can kind of irk me when he says "just trust me." I'm not sure why, but it usually makes me more upset when he says it, especially when we're discussing concerns about courses of action. It almost feels condescending in a way, I guess.

But here's the thing. When we come to a point and I just go along with it and trust him, everything ends up fine in the end anyway. Ultimately, when I'm trusting my husband to lead me, I'm trusting God to lead my husband and look out for me too. In not trusting my husband, I'm not trusting that God will provide and take care of me, no matter where we go or what we do.

We, or at I, have this subtle mental stumbling block thinking "if we don't do exactly what God wants or make just the right choices, we'll end up somewhere bad and God will abandon us." Of course, it's never as plain as that, but it's usually some version of that. When you boil it all down, a lack of trusting my husband is really me thinking God will abandon me because we're not doing things my way (ouch). As long as my heart stays towards God, I have nothing to fear in following my husband. Recognizing this makes the battle a little easier.

So, in the end, I can put up a big fuss and get all upset and everything eventually ends up ok or I could just trust God and my husband and everything will eventually be ok. Hmmm..... Yes, it's easier said than done, for sure. But I think I'll choose to try to trust my husband and leave the outcome up to God. Trust me, it'll be a lesson worth trying to learn!

Do you have any encouraging thoughts on Wifehood this week? Share with us!

1 comments:

From The Heart Online on April 10, 2010 at 12:27 AM said...

Ooooh. Way to uncover the subtle lack of faith we hide. I read recently (in 'Love and Respect'), that our marriage isn't really about our spouse at all, but about God. You've demonstrated that truth.

Powerful challenge. Thanks. "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus", right? Okay ...

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin