"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Book Review: 40 Loaves


I was recently sent the book 40 Loaves by C.D. Baker by WaterBrook Multnomah to read and review. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this book.

I will readily admit that on this side of Heaven few people will ever agree completely on everything. It's just a fact of life and I will often still read and recommend books, even if I don't agree 100% with everything the author says. That's one of the reasons why I have the Holy Spirit, to discern the truth and find the treasure. Unfortunately, this book had far too many things I strongly disagree with.

The premise of 40 Loaves is that each chapter begins with a question (there are 40 chapters) such as "Why do I want Jesus in my life" and "Why am I so discontented." I appreciate the idea of someone trying to answer tough questions that people are often afraid to ask or answer. I only got to Chapter 9 before I realized I was disagreeing with much of what the author said and my husband and I decided I shouldn't continue reading the book.

The most concerning thing the author stated, and the reason I stopped reading, was about a woman who said she believed in Jesus, but didn't believe in the miracles in the Bible, such as the parting of the red sea, Lazarus being raised from the dead, or even the resurrection of Christ. The author went on to say that even though this woman didn't believe those things were literal, she was still a believer who was saved. This is a very dangerous statement. I don't know this woman and can't talk to her to see where her heart is myself, but if she doesn't believe in the resurrection of Christ, I'd have a hard time calling her a fellow believer. How can you believe in Christ, yet not believe in the things He said and did? That's the whole point of believing IN Him.

There were other things I disagreed with, but this was the most alarming and because of it, I'd recommend that you don't read it, especially because books like this can begin to subtly plant confusion in believers who don't know enough of the Bible to discern the truth. I'm sorry to the publisher that my review is rather negative, but I hope never to allow my opinion to be swayed by a free book or otherwise. I desire above all else in this blog to always be honest.

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin