"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Black Beans and Kielbasa


My husband loves this meal and it can easily be made ahead and put in the freezer, which is what I did when my second daughter was born. I got this recipe years ago out of our local newspaper back before I was even married!

Black Beans and Kielbasa
  • 2-15oz cans black beans
  • 1-14.5oz can of stewed tomatoes (sometimes I just use diced)
  • 1 c. frozen corn
  • 1 lb. kielbasa sausage
  • 2 tsp minced garlic (jarred is fabulous!)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • Rice to serve it over (optional)
Rinse and drain one can of black beans and pour it in a slower cooker. Add tomatoes, other beans and corn with juices. Sprinkle garlic and spices over the top, stir gently. Cut sausage into 6 pieces, prick with a fork and lay over the top. Cover and cook 6-10 hours on low (3-4 on high). This recipe doubles very well.

To freeze this: I line my slow cooker with foil (not the best, an actual slow cooker liner would be best) and pour it all in. I remove the crock and put it in the freezer. Once frozen, I pull it out, wrap it and label it. I don't even bother thawing it when I make it. I just put it straight into the slow cooker. For other great make ahead meals, check out the Ultimate Recipe Swap this week!

3 comments:

~ on November 5, 2009 at 3:02 PM said...

This sounds great. I am trying to use more black beans, so I will try this for sure.

~Deidra
http://deidrasheart.blogspot.com/

Unknown on November 6, 2009 at 12:06 AM said...

I always make Kielbasa with cabbage, this sounds different with the black beans and chili powder.
THANKS!!! for the recipe.
Geri

Holly on November 6, 2009 at 7:33 AM said...

Looks yummy! definately on my next months menu plan!

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin