"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Monday, October 26, 2009

Book Review: Wisdom Hunter


I recently received a book from the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group to read and review called "Wisdom Hunter" by Randall Arthur. I had never read a Christian novel before. Actually, I always thought they were a joke. A waste of time. An oxymoron. Boy, was I ever wrong! I might have missed out on some wonderful treasures God had in store for me!

The book follows the story of a man Jason Faircloth, who at the beginning of the book is married, with one runaway daughter and is the Jason of a very large, denominational church. Jason is extremely legalistic, even to the point of firing a man who's hair is too long. The book follows Jason, as his whole world is completely changed and rocked by the God he thought he had all figured out. Most of the book follows Jason's journey of learning the nature of the true God.

This book opened my eyes to some wonderful truths about the love of Christians for each other and it reminded me about the bigness of God and the fact that He can do anything He pleases (and often will!) to change our hearts and bring us closer to Him. I was truly moved by the model of an International church given near the middle of the book, a church Jason comes across in his travels and reminded that a church doesn't necessarily have to look the same as what most Americans are used to.

Although, just like any book, I don't agree with every last thing that was shown or said, on the whole, this was a very beautiful, moving story (that had me in tears in some places) and I would highly recommend it to you!

0 comments:

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin