"That they (the older women) admonish the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5

Thursday, July 22, 2010

"The Fruit of Her Hands"


In trying to follow Titus 2:4-5, I'm learning so many lessons about being wise, frugal and a hard worker. Here's one of my recent lessons and reflections. Will you join me on this journey of being a Godly wife?

Not long ago, my family and I went blueberry picking. We try to do this every year now since they're only $1.40/lb and I'm obsessed with getting enough to last us all winter. I love frozen blueberries so much that I've been known to eat them out of a bowl with a spoon... still frozen! :)


Picking blueberries is very frugal and a great activity to do with children. It teaches kids about where some of our food comes from and the fact that sometimes you have to work for it. Somehow, food tastes just a little bit better when you've worked hard for it.... just don't forget the sunscreen!

Picking blueberries can also be very hard work, something we all need to engage in sometimes, especially considering the account of the Proverbs 31 woman. This virtuous woman was well known for her frugality and hard work. Today, it can be so easy to forget the virtues of good old fashioned hard work! Grocery stores and candle companies and soap companies, etc.... tend to make us forget all the work the ladies of old used to do.


I'm very thankful for our modern conviences, but sometimes homemade blueberry jam just can't be beat by anything you can buy in the store! Sure I could get $0.99 grape jelly, but when Christmas rolls around, all I have to do is pull from my stock of 16 half pints and 2 pints of blueberry jam and I'll likely save a bundle in gift money. I hate buying gifts for people they'll never use, so I often gift homemade things and things from my stockpile. My family really appreciates it!

So, get a little creative and find some fun ways of working hard and saving money. You'll learn and grow from it, your children will learn from it and your wallet will thank you! Check out these tips for freezing blueberries so they'll retain great flavor and texture or I'll try to post my recipe for blueberry jam later soon. Check out Finer Things Friday and Frugal Friday for other great ideas and inspiration!

3 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet on July 23, 2010 at 8:13 AM said...

oh, my! That is my favorite jam!! :D

annies home on July 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM said...

Janeen-
sounds to me as if you are doing a great job living up to the Titus 2 scriptures. Your family will surely enjoy all your hard work. Love your pictures they were great to see

Sharon Cohen on July 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM said...

You are so magnifying the calling of a Titus 2 woman! If every new bride could catch this vision, the world would be full of Proverbs 31 women!

Thanks for including your link at the Finer Things Friday Blog Hop. You have given me hope in the future of womanhood and gained yourself a follower in the process. We Titus 2 women need to stick together.

LinkedWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin